May Seasonal Food UK - Rhubarb & Asparagus
Asparagus - This sweet, sexy superfood is in season in Britain for just a few short weeks. So grab those melt-in-the-mouth spears while you can and feast!
Rhubarb - Packed with minerals, vitamins, and nutrients its ideal for keeping our bodies healthy.
Rhubarb and Asparagus Couscous
Recipe serves 6
- 2 cups couscous - Preferably Gluten Free
- 4 cups vegetable stock or water
- 2 tbsp rapeseed olive oil
- 1 lb asparagus
- 2 small rhubarb stalks, or 1 large
- 3 tbsp Dairy free butter
- Handful of chives, snipped
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
Add couscous and toast for about 3-5 minutes.
Add in vegetable stock or water.
Bring up to a boil simmer and covered for about 15 minutes, until the water has evaporated.
- While couscous is cooking, prepare your asparagus and rhubarb. Remove tough ends of asparagus and cut into 1/4" diagonal slices, leaving the tips in tact. Cut rhubarb into 1/4" slices also.
- Heat butter over medium-high heat in a skillet pan.
Add the asparagus and tips, cooking, stirring for about 3 minutes.
Add in rhubarb and continue to toss and cook for another few minutes.
Remove from the heat when the asparagus is a bit crispy but also tender.
- Transfer couscous to a serving bowl or platter.
Drizzle with a little Balsamic glaze or Rapeseed oil if you'd like.
Transfer the asparagus and rhubarb mixture over top.